Did you or a family member suffer injuries in a car accident involving a rideshare service in Dallas, TX? You may deserve compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. Our experienced Dallas Uber accident lawyer at Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers can help you navigate the complex insurance issues involved in these types of cases.
Our lawyer has over 25 years of experience in personal injury law. We’ve helped accident victims in similar situations and are well-equipped to handle your case.
You don’t have to take our word for it. Call our law offices in Dallas, Texas, today to schedule a free consultation at (214) 855-1420 to learn more about how we can help maximize your settlement or verdict.
How Can Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers Help With My Uber Accident Claim in Dallas?
Any serious injury case can be complex. Rideshare accident claims have an added layer of complexity. In addition to proving that someone else caused your injuries, you’ll also be required to identify the correct insurance policy that is available in your case.
That can be challenging while you’re recovering from a serious injury. Our Dallas personal injury lawyer at Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers is here to handle every aspect of your case. We’re ready to develop a plan to help you recover a fair settlement so that you can move on with your life.
More specifically, we’ll help with your case by:
- Conducting an investigation to locate evidence and identify all responsible parties
- Hiring experts to strengthen your case
- Calculating your case value
- Defending you when you’re blamed for contributing to the accident
- Handling all insurance communications and negotiations
- Helping you understand your legal rights at every turn
Personal injury laws can be complex. Insurance companies often try to take advantage of victims. Having experienced personal injury lawyers by your side can make a world of difference. To discuss your options in detail, contact our team for a free case evaluation today.
How Common Are Uber Accidents in Dallas?
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) doesn’t publish data about Uber accidents. Because Uber drivers use their own passenger vehicles, accidents involving Uber are grouped with other types of motor vehicle accidents.
However, the University of Chicago conducted a study on the issue. That study found that rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft may be making the streets more dangerous.
Traffic fatalities increased by about 3% each year since Uber and Lyft started offering services in major cities like Dallas. That’s about 987 additional traffic fatalities each year.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover By Filing an Uber Accident Case?
Dozens of factors can impact the value of your personal injury case.
A few considerations that will play an important role in the valuation process include:
- The type of injuries involved
- The cost of your medical treatment and other expenses
- Whether you will make a full recovery
- Whether you share any blame for the crash
- The types of personal suffering and losses you have experienced
- How the injury impacts your earnings, both during recovery and in the future
- The available insurance coverage
In reality, the value of any given personal injury claim is often limited by insurance. In Uber accident cases, additional insurance options may be available. To learn more about your legal rights, call our Dallas Uber accident attorneys at Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers today.
What Special Insurance Considerations Are Relevant in Uber Accident Cases?
Texas is an at-fault insurance state. After an accident, you can file a claim for compensation against the at-fault driver’s insurance company. If your motor vehicle accident involves an Uber or Lyft driver, you have additional options.
Uber is now required to purchase commercial insurance coverage that protects crash victims. In the past, Uber was able to avoid responsibility for accidents by classifying Uber drivers as independent contractors. The drivers’ insurance companies could also avoid liability by denying coverage when the driver used the vehicle to make a profit.
Under Texas law, Uber’s insurance coverage must meet certain minimum requirements. The available coverage will depend on the driver’s status at the time of the crash.
Driver Was Logged Into the Uber App and Available To Accept Passenger Requests
When Uber drivers are available to accept ride requests but have not yet accepted a ride, the following coverage limits apply:
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability coverage (BIL) per person
- $100,000 in bodily injury liability coverage per accident
- $25,000 in property damage liability coverage (PDL) per accident
This coverage is third-party liability coverage. That means it’s available once all other insurance options have been exhausted.
Driver Had Accepted a Passenger Ride Request
The following insurance coverage is available during rides and while the driver is en route to pick up a passenger:
- $1 million in third-party liability coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage
- Contingent comprehensive and collision coverage, up to the actual cash value of the car with a $2,500 deductible
This more generous policy is available whether you are an Uber passenger, an occupant of another vehicle, or even a pedestrian or bicyclist.
Driver Was Not Logged Into the Uber App
If the driver was not logged into the Uber app, you must file a claim with the Uber driver’s personal insurance policy. The case will be treated like any other traffic accident.
What Compensation Can I Recover For My Uber Accident Injuries?
Crash victims can seek compensation for economic and non-economic damages.
If your case is successful, examples of the types of damages you may be entitled to recover include:
- Current medical expenses
- Future medical costs
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning potential
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
In fatal accident cases, you may be entitled to additional damages for funeral costs, burial expenses, loss of financial support, and other damages for wrongful death.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for Causing an Uber Accident in Dallas?
Texas has adopted modified comparative negligence laws. Accident victims can recover damages if they are less than 51% responsible for their own injuries. Once your percentage of fault reaches 51%, you cannot seek compensation for your injuries.
It’s also possible that you could be liable for damages if someone else was hurt in the accident. Hiring an experienced Dallas Uber accident lawyer means you can respond to allegations of blame effectively.
Our Dallas Uber Accident Attorneys Will Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
You can count on our car accident lawyers in Dallas to fight for full compensation for all of your injuries.
Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers often represents clients who have suffered:
- Broken bones
- Whiplash and other soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and concussions
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Internal injuries
- Other types of catastrophic injuries
We also handle wrongful death cases. If you were injured or lost a loved one, contact our law firm to schedule a free case evaluation today.
What Are the Leading Causes of Uber Accidents in Dallas, TX?
Uber drivers aren’t specially trained. While they may spend more time than your average driver behind the wheel, they’re equally capable of causing accidents. The most common causes of Uber and Lyft accidents are the same causes that apply in typical car accident cases.
Those causes include:
- Aggressive driving
- Speeding and other traffic violations
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Dangerous turns
- Passing too closely
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Drunk driving
- Vehicle defects
- Hazardous road conditions or poor visibility
If you were injured, contact our Dallas Uber and Lyft accident lawyers at Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers for help determining what caused your crash and who was responsible.
How Do I Prove Negligence if I Was Injured In an Uber Accident in Texas?
To prove negligence, you must prove four separate elements:
- A legal duty of care existed
- The responsible party breached the duty of care
- The breach caused your accident
- You sustained some type of damages
The evidence needed to prove these elements varies from case to case. Our Dallas ridesharing accident lawyers will examine accident reports, search for video footage, interview witnesses and evaluate the crash scene itself.
In Uber accident cases, you’ll also have to establish the driver’s status at the time of the accident. Your lawyer will also obtain data from the Uber app if necessary to establish your rights under Uber’s insurance policy.
How Long Do I Have To Seek Damages After an Uber Accident in Texas?
Under Texas law, you must file a lawsuit within two years of the accident. The consequences of missing the deadline are severe. Once the two-year statute of limitations runs out, you cannot pursue compensation from the at-fault party.
Contact a Dallas Uber Accident Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation
Do you have questions about your legal rights after an accident involving a rideshare driver? Contact our Dallas Uber accident lawyer today. You can count on Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers to seek the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Our Dallas, TX personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Dallas, TX
- Workplace Accident Lawyers Dallas, TX
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorney in Dallas, TX
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in Dallas, TX
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Child Injury Attorney in Dallas, TX
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Dallas, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Dallas, TX