Did you sustain injuries in an accident with a Lyft vehicle in Dallas? Texas is an at-fault state for car insurance claims, so you can likely pursue compensation directly from the responsible party or their insurer.
In some instances, you may be able to take advantage of Lyft’s lucrative insurance policy. As part of your claim, you can recover money damages for your financial losses, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and more.
Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers is one of the most well-regarded personal injury law firms in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. Our lead Dallas Lyft accident lawyer, Jay Murray, has over 25 years of experience practicing law and has collected over $100 million in compensation for his clients. You can put his skills and experience to work for you starting today.
How Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With Your Lyft Accident Case in Dallas
Car accidents involving Lyft or other rideshare vehicles are to be expected in many ways. After all, Lyft drivers aren’t subject to especially extensive training or hiring procedures. They also usually use their own personal cars to make trips. Because they are incentivized to make as many trips as possible in as little time as they can, it’s far from surprising when a Lyft driver causes a crash.
While these factors mean that accidents with Lyft drivers are far from unheard of, that doesn’t change the fact that they should be held accountable for their actions. In fact, after a crash in Dallas, TX, you deserve compensation that makes up for every loss you’ve experienced. Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers is the law firm to help you in that pursuit. When you hire our award-winning Dallas personal injury lawyer, we can:
- Investigate your accident to collect evidence and arrive at your best legal course of action
- Enlist the help of experts as needed to analyze and bolster your claim
- Evaluate all of your damages and demand fair compensation
- Negotiate with the opposing party on your behalf
- Handle all the communications and paperwork
- File a lawsuit and take your claim to court if necessary
Contact us today for a free consultation to learn more about what we can do to help with your Lyft accident case in Dallas.
Insurance Considerations for Lyft Accidents
Lyft accident cases differ from other car accident cases in one key regard: insurance. While you generally won’t be able to file a lawsuit against Lyft after a rideshare crash, you may be able to utilize one of the company’s insurance policies. Your options will depend, in part, on the driver’s status at the time of the accident.
Driver’s Lyft App Was Off
If the driver was not working at the time of the accident and did not have their Lyft app on, you’ll proceed with your claim as you would with any other driver. That generally means filing an insurance claim against their personal car insurance policy.
Driver’s Lyft App Was On, and They Were Waiting for a Ride Request
In the event that the Lyft driver was working but had yet to accept a ride request, Lyft’s limited insurance coverage may apply:
- $50,000 per person for bodily injury
- $100,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
However, this coverage will only apply if the driver’s personal policy does not.
Driver Was En Route To Pick Up or Was Driving a Passenger
Lyft’s most expansive insurance policy applies if the accident occurred during a ride or while the Lyft driver was on their way to pick up a passenger. This policy could pay as much as $1 million.
How Valuable Is My Dallas Lyft Accident Case?
How much your Lyft accident case is worth will come down to various factors, including but not limited to the following:
- The types of injuries and losses you’ve incurred
- The severity of your injuries
- Whether you share any of the blame for the crash
- Which insurance policies apply to the accident
- The amount of available evidence to support your claim
- Your age at the time of the accident
- Whether you will make a full medical recovery
- Whether you can return to work in the same capacity
Broadly speaking, the Dallas Lyft accident cases that involve the most serious, life-impacting injuries are worth the most. Nonetheless, other factors could have a larger impact in some instances.
Reach out to our legal team to receive personalized information regarding how valuable your case is. We can look more into your circumstances during your free case review.
Common Causes of Lyft Accidents in Dallas, Texas
By and large, Lyft accidents occur for the same reasons as other motor vehicle accidents. Some common causes include:
- Distracted driving
- Aggressive driving
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Fatigued driving
- Improper vehicle maintenance
- Poor road or weather conditions
- Malfunctioning parts or machinery
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Improper lane changes
- Insufficient signage or road markings
Our experienced Dallas rideshare accident attorney can offer you legal guidance and help from the beginning. Call today if you’ve been hurt in a car crash with a Lyft driver to discuss your legal options and rights.
Damages You Can Recover After a Lyft Accident in Dallas
Economic damages include the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Decreased earning capacity
Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Decreased enjoyment of life
- Mental conditions, such as PTSD and depression
Punitive damages are meant to “punish” the at-fault party rather than to provide compensation for your injuries. However, if awarded, they are still given to you nonetheless. In order to recover punitive damages, you must assert by “clear and convincing evidence” that the opposing party acted with gross negligence, fraud, or malice.
We’ll Work To Obtain Compensation for Each of Your Dallas Lyft Accident Injuries
Even though motor vehicle safety is constantly improving, crashes can still result in significant, life-changing harm. Our Lyft accident attorney can help if you’ve sustained any of the following types of injuries:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Crushing injuries
- Foot injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Road rash
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Chest injuries
- Leg injuries
- Wrongful death of a close family member
Reach out today if you’d like to begin forming an attorney-client relationship.
What if I’m Being Blamed for My Lyft Accident in Dallas, TX?
As long as you aren’t mostly to blame for your Lyft accident, you can still recover compensation under Texas law. The state currently has a modified comparative negligence standard with a 51% bar to recovery.
Under the modified comparative negligence standard, you will be assigned a percentage of fault for the crash. As an example, if you are assigned 15% of the blame, your damages award can be reduced by 15%. And if the percentage is 51% or more instead, you will be barred from recovering compensation under Texas law.
The at-fault party will likely try to pin the blame on you for the accident, as they can reduce or eliminate their liability for your injuries if they succeed. This is one reason why it can make all the difference to hire an experienced Lyft accident lawyer in Dallas to represent you. An attorney can protect your interests and work to ensure you aren’t assigned more blame than is appropriate.
How Do I Prove Negligence for a Dallas Lyft Accident?
Most often, you will need to prove that the responsible driver was negligent in order to win or settle your claim. Negligence is a legal term with a meaning close to “carelessness.”
As the accident victim, you must establish each of the following legal elements “by a preponderance of the evidence” to prove negligence:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care
- By way of their actions or inaction, the opposing party breached that duty of care
- The accident was caused, both factually and proximately, by the other driver
- You suffered damages due to the accident
Types of evidence you can present in favor of your negligence claim include medical records, eyewitness testimony, expert analysis, photos and videos of the accident or accident scene, and more.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Filing a Lyft Accident Claim in Texas?
The statute of limitations deadline for most personal injury cases in Texas is two years. That means you’ll generally have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.
It is critically important to file your claim on time; otherwise, you might lose your ability to recover compensation. Even though there are exceptions to the statute of limitations deadline, they are rare.
We recommend contacting a Dallas personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after an accident to maintain your rights and ensure you have the correct deadline in mind.
Schedule a Free Case Review With Our Trusted Dallas Lyft Accident Attorney
Look no further than Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers if you’ve recently been in an accident with a Lyft vehicle in Dallas, Texas. We’re one of the most well-respected personal injury law firms in the area, and we have a significant track record of success.
Our Dallas Lyft accident attorney also works on a contingency fee basis, meaning you can hire us without paying a dime upfront. We also only collect attorney’s fees if we secure compensation for you as your case’s final outcome.
Call us today to set up a free consultation.
Our Dallas, TX personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Dallas, TX
- Workplace Accident Lawyers Dallas, TX
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorney in Dallas, TX
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in Dallas, TX
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Child Injury Attorney in Dallas, TX
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Dallas, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Dallas, TX