Have you recently been the victim of an assault in Dallas, Texas? It’s important to discuss your legal rights and options with an experienced Dallas assault injury lawyer near you. Call Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers at (214) 855-1420 and discover how our award-winning legal team can help you fight for the financial accountability you deserve.
For more than two decades, Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers has been a fierce advocate for victims of assault and families whose lives have been turned upside down by deadly criminal acts. Led by award-winning Texas litigator Jay Murray, we’ve won millions in life-changing monetary awards through private settlements and jury awards.
Don’t let your attacker off the hook. Show them you’re serious about getting the compensation you deserve. Contact our law office in Dallas, TX, to put our top-rated legal team in your corner. Your first consultation is free, so contact us for help today.
How Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help If You’ve Been Assaulted in Dallas, TX
The person who assaulted you might face criminal charges for their actions. However, putting them behind bars or forcing them to a term of probation won’t help to compensate you for the trauma and suffering you’ve endured.
That’s where one of our Dallas personal injury attorneys can help.
In Texas, assault can be the grounds for a civil legal claim for damages. Our law firm can help you sue your attacker and hold them financially accountable for your medical expenses, loss of income, and the excruciating pain and suffering you’ve endured.
When you choose Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers, you benefit from a top-rated Texas trial attorney with 25+ years of experience and a proven ability to successfully take on powerful adversaries.
You’ll get the time you need to cope with your traumatic assault and fight to get back on your feet while we handle everything else:
- Have our investigator launch an independent inquiry into your assault
- Gather critical pieces of evidence that can help you build a persuasive legal claim for damages
- Find and interview witnesses who might have important information about your case
- Fight back against allegations that you provoked the assault or in any way provided consent
- Work closely with respected medical professionals, therapists, rehabilitation specialists, and other experts
- Navigate curveballs that might arise due to related criminal charges against your attacker
- Demand a top-dollar settlement for you during negotiations with defense counsel, insurance companies, and other parties
- File a civil assault injury lawsuit and advocate for you passionately at trial, if necessary
You don’t have to deal with the aftermath of your assault on your own. Our top-rated personal injury law firm in Dallas is ready to help you fight for the compensation you deserve. We’ll advocate for you on a contingency fee basis, so there’s no cost unless we win or settle your assault injury case.
What Do I Have To Prove To Win a Civil Assault Injury Claim in Dallas?
Assault is both a crime and an intentional tort in the State of Texas.
Under state law, an assault occurs when a person (the defendant) intentionally or knowingly:
- Causes bodily injury to another,
- Threatens another person with imminent bodily injury, or
- Causes harmful or offensive physical contact with another person.
So, assault can involve threats, offensive physical contact, or contact that causes physical injury or death.
When you file a civil assault lawsuit in Dallas, you’ll have to prove:
- The defendant threatened you, made offensive physical contact, or caused a bodily injury
- The defendant intended to cause harm or make you fearful for your safety, and
- You have sustained identifiable damages as a result.
Unlike criminal matters, which must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, your civil claim must be proven by a preponderance of the evidence. A jury (or factfinder) has to believe that your claim is more likely true than not. That means you can win your civil claim even if your attacker is acquitted in criminal court.
We Handle All Types of Dallas Assault Injury Cases
At the Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers, we have 25+ years of experience representing clients in assault injury cases involving:
- Bar fights
- Domestic violence
- Sexual assault
- Police brutality
You may be entitled to compensation if you’ve been physically harmed or threatened by another person in Dallas. Our assault injury attorney can help you assert your legal rights and demand a just recovery. Call our law office to learn more now.
What Types of Damages Can I Get in a Dallas, Texas, Civil Assault Lawsuit?
Compensatory damages include:
- Economic damages, which offset the financial burdens associated with your assault, and
- Non-economic damages, which make up for the trauma and suffering you experience as the victim of an assault.
This can include money for:
- Current medical bills, including hospitalization, surgery, and medication
- Medical expenses for future treatment and care
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Reduced quality of life
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and income
- Nursing assistance
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral expenses
Since assault is an intentional tort, you could also receive punitive damages if your assault injury lawsuit goes to trial.
Our assault injury attorneys in Dallas will aggressively pursue all damages available to you under Texas state law.
How Much Is My Assault Injury Case Worth?
In truth, there is no standard value for assault injury claims. Every victim will have a unique story and experience after they’ve been attacked. As a result, the specific circumstances of your assault will drive the valuation process.
Important considerations include:
- Your age at the time of the assault
- How the assault has changed your ability to work and generate an income
- The specific types of injuries you sustained in the assault
- The psychological and emotional distress you’ve experienced in the aftermath of the assault
- Whether anyone other than the person who assaulted you can be liable for your damages
You can learn more about your case and its potential value by contacting an experienced personal injury attorney near you in Dallas. Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers is always available to take your call – morning, noon, and night.
Can I File a Lawsuit if the Person Who Attacked Me Is Charged With a Crime?
Yes. Criminal and civil cases are distinct. Both can co-exist. However, it’s important to know that your civil assault injury case could be delayed due to related criminal charges.
That’s because the defendant can ask to have the civil case tolled (put on hold) until their criminal case is resolved. This way, they can dedicate all of their focus to fighting potential criminal sanctions, including jail time, fines, and probation.
Once the criminal case is resolved, the related civil case resumes. The outcome of the criminal action has no direct impact on the civil case. However, a conviction or guilty plea can help to add strength to your fight for compensation.
Understanding Liability for Dallas Assaults
It’s important to note that you may also have the ability to pursue compensation from other parties after your assault, especially if the attack happened on someone else’s property.
If someone was negligent and contributed to your assault, they could be on the hook for your resulting damages.
Potentially liable parties could include:
- Bar and restaurant owners
- Property owners
- Shop owners
- Nursing homes
Our Dallas assault injury attorney will carefully evaluate your case and work to identify all potentially liable parties.
Helping You Seek Compensation for Your Catastrophic Assault Injuries in Dallas, TX
Assaults can be catastrophic, resulting in:
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Nerve damage
- Internal organ damage
- Joint injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Back injury
- Wrongful death
Get to the closest hospital in Dallas for emergency medical treatment right after you’re assaulted. Prompt care can make a huge difference in your recovery and help to set the stage for a successful civil legal claim.
What’s the Statute of Limitations for Civil Assault Injury Lawsuits in Texas?
Two years. This gives you until the second anniversary of the date you were assaulted to file a civil action seeking damages from your attacker or another liable party.
If you’ve lost a family member because of a fatal assault in Dallas, you will have two years from their death to file a wrongful death action for damages.
You lose the right to demand financial justice once the statute of limitations expires.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Dallas Assault Injury Lawyer
You may be entitled to compensation if you’ve been assaulted in Dallas, Texas. Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers can help you seek a meaningful payout from your attacker and anyone else who put you in harm’s way.
Call our Dallas assault injury attorney to learn more about the benefits of working with our award-winning legal team. Your first consultation is free, so contact us for help today.
Our Dallas, TX personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Dallas, TX
- Workplace Accident Lawyers Dallas, TX
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorney in Dallas, TX
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in Dallas, TX
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Child Injury Attorney in Dallas, TX
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Dallas, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Dallas, TX