Don’t hesitate to call the Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers if you’ve recently been bitten by a dog in Dallas, Texas. You may be entitled to compensation for the costs of your medical treatment, loss of income, and pain and suffering.
Our experienced Dallas dog bite lawyer can help you fight to hold the dog’s owner responsible and get every cent you deserve.
Since 1992, attorney Jay Murray has provided top-tier legal services to dog bite victims and grieving families in Dallas.
An award-winning Texas trial attorney, he and his legal team have helped clients recover millions in life-changing monetary awards in personal injury cases including Dallas car accidents, truck accidents, Dallas motorcycle accidents, brain injury cases, slip and fall cases, wrongful death cases, and more.
Don’t let the dog’s owner off the hook for their animal’s aggressive actions. Contact the Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers at (214) 855-1420 and put a top-rated dog bite attorney in your corner. We offer a free consultation, so call our Dallas, TX, law office today.
How Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Dog Bite in Dallas, TX
Dog bite injuries can have devastating – and potentially life-long – consequences. You should not be expected to deal with these consequences on your own. However, the dog’s owner – and anyone else who might potentially be responsible for the attack – won’t be eager to help you out.
You’ll need to be aggressive and unrelenting if you want to recover the compensation you need and deserve.
That’s where one of our Dallas personal injury lawyers can help.
Attorney Jay Murray has 25+ years of experience handling complex dog bite injury claims and a proven ability to help his clients achieve the best results.
You deserve time to rest and recover, which is why our team will handle every aspect of your fight for compensation:
- Investigate your dog bite injury case
- Determine if the dog who bit you has a history of aggression
- Gather evidence that can be used to build a strong claim for damages, including medical records, police reports, witness statements, photographs, video footage, and torn or damaged clothing
- Consult with dog bite injury experts and specialists as we assess what your dog bite case is worth
- Defend against allegations that you provoked the animal or share responsibility for your injuries
- Work to secure a top-dollar payout for you during settlement negotiations
- Prepare your case for trial just in case you don’t receive a fair settlement
When you choose the Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers, you don’t have to worry about the cost of hiring a dog bite lawyer. Attorney Jay Murray represents his clients on contingency. You only pay if he wins your dog bite injury case.
Call our Dallas, TX law office to discover more about the considerable benefits of working with our experienced dog bite attorney. Your first consultation is free, so reach out to get started now.
How Common Are Dog Bites?
Many of these dog bites are serious enough to warrant professional medical treatment. The CDC estimates that about 885,000 dog bite injuries seek care. Emergency rooms treat roughly 370,000 dog bite victims annually.
The odds of dying from a dog bite are about 1 in 112,400. Statistically speaking, about 16 people die from fatal dog bites every year.
Texas leads the nation in fatal dog bites. Since 2005, there have been at least 84 fatal dog bites recorded in the Lone Star State.
According to data from State Farm, Texas ranks 6th when it comes to dog bite insurance claims. In 2021, the insurance company settled 137 claims for a total of $5.1 million.
Does Texas Have a One-Bite Rule?
Yes, Texas has a one-bite rule.
Under Texas law, a dog’s first bite is essentially “free.” In other words, a dog’s owner isn’t automatically responsible for damages the first time their dog attacks or bites someone.
They can be liable, but only if their negligence contributed to the dog bite.
For instance, a dog’s owner could be liable for a dog bite if the dog wasn’t on a leash, which would be a violation of Dallas leash laws.
Once a dog has bitten someone, they become known as an “aggressive” dog. Once this happens, the owner can be strictly liable for injuries caused by a dog’s aggression. Strict liability means that the owner is on the hook for damages, regardless of how careful they were or the steps they took to keep their dog from biting.
What Do I Have To Prove To Win My Dallas Dog Bite Injury Case?
It depends. Dog bite claims in Texas can be based on negligence or strict liability.
If the dog that bit you doesn’t have a history of aggression – if this is the first time it’s bitten anyone – then you’ll have to prove the dog’s owner was negligent.
Negligence involves showing:
- The defendant owned the dog
- The defendant had a responsibility to take reasonable care to control the dog’s behavior
- The defendant breached this duty of care – either through some action or failure to act
- The defendant’s actions caused you to get hurt
- You’ve suffered damages
If the dog that bit you has a history of aggression, you can file a claim based on strict liability. In these situations, you’d simply have the burden of proving that the owner knew – or should have known – about the dog’s history of aggression.
Our dog bite attorney in Dallas can help you build a strong and successful claim against the dog’s owner and, in some cases, other liable parties. There may be times when a property owner, business, or landlord could also be liable for injuries resulting from a dog bite in Dallas.
How Much Is My Dog Bite Case Worth?
Dogs have the ability to inflict severe, potentially life-changing injuries. Ultimately, the value of your dog bite case will depend on the types of injuries you suffer, the extent of those injuries, and how your life changes as a result.
Other important factors to consider include:
- Your age at the time of the dog attack
- Your earning capacity before and after you were bitten
- The psychological impact of the dog bite
- Available insurance coverage and policy limits
Dallas dog bite attorney Jay Murray has over two decades of experience helping catastrophically injured clients recover life-changing financial awards. You can benefit from his experience, reputation, and in-depth knowledge of Texas dog bite law by calling his law office in Dallas, TX, today.
What Damages Are Available to Dog Bite Victims in Dallas?
When you file a dog bite claim, you can generally receive compensatory damages for your injuries and suffering.
Compensatory awards include:
- Economic damages to cover your financial costs and losses, and
- Non-economic damages to compensate for your suffering and distress.
the Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers will help you fight to get money for:
- Medical bills, including reconstructive surgery and medical devices
- Lost wages and income
- Nursing assistance
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
If there’s evidence that you were singled out and intentionally harmed or that the dog’s owner blatantly disregarded your safety, you may also be eligible for an award of punitive damages.
Common Dog Bite Injuries
Our Dallas dog bite attorney can help you fight to recover compensation for all of your dog bite injuries, including:
- Cuts and lacerations
- Puncture wounds
- Soft tissue damage
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Infection and disease
- Broken bones
- Chest injury
- Brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Nerve damage
- Wrongful death of a family member
Reach out to our personal injury law firm in Dallas to learn more about your legal rights and options. We’re here to provide the help you need 24 hours a day.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Dog Bite Lawsuits in Texas?
Unless there are extenuating circumstances, you will have two years from the date of your dog attack to pursue compensation.
If a family member is killed in a fatal dog attack, you’ll have two years from the date of their death to file a wrongful death action.
You can’t allow too much time to pass by without asserting your legal rights to compensation. Once the statute of limitations expires, so does your right to get the money you deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Dallas Dog Bite Attorney
At the Jay Murray Personal Injury Lawyers, we understand that a dog bite can change the course of your life forever. The dog’s owner must be held accountable, whether or not the dog has a history of aggression. Dallas dog bite attorney Jay Murray is ready to help you pursue compensation and recover every cent you deserve.
Benefit from an award-winning Texas litigator with over 25 years of experience handling tough personal injury cases like yours. Our law firm has won millions in settlements and jury awards, and now we’re ready to help you fight for top results in your dog bite injury case.
Call our law office in Dallas, Texas to set up a time for your free, no-obligation case assessment today.
Our Dallas, TX personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Dallas, TX
- Workplace Accident Lawyers Dallas, TX
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorney in Dallas, TX
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Bicycle Accident Attorney in Dallas, TX
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Dallas, TX
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Child Injury Attorney in Dallas, TX
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Dallas, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Dallas, TX